Admission Requirements for the M.Sc. Politics & Technology
Admission to the Master's program at the Munich School of Politics and Public Policy requires:
- A qualifying bachelor's degree of at least six semesters or a minimum equivalent degree in:
- a political science study program
- a comparable social science study program or
- an engineering or natural science study program
as well as:
- Adequate knowledge of the English language and
- Passing the aptitude test
It is not possible to prove English proficiency by school grades (e.g. high school diploma).
If you have questions about the potential comparability of a social science study program with a
political science program, please contact the study advisor before applying.
+49 89 907793 074
Information on virtual open office hours here.
The aptitude procedure is a two-stage selection process.
In the first stage, the following criteria are evaluated:
- Average grade of first degree (min. 140 ECTS)
- Professional (pre-)qualification based on the following subject groups:
- Political Science Basics/Intensives (30 ECTS)
- Engineering/Natural Science component (30 ECTS)
- Fundamentals of Business and Law (12 ECTS)
- Mathematical-Statistical basics (12 ECTS)
- Core Competencies e.g. language skills, soft skills (6 ECTS)
- Practical project (18 ECTS)
- An essay in English of no more than 2,000 words on a topic to be announced on the website on 1 April.
- A letter of justification of 800 words or less to be prepared in English.
Those who score 64 points or more in the first stage are admitted directly. Applicants with more than 55 points are admitted to the second stage of the selection process, which includes a selection interview.
If individual subject requirements are not met, applicants are required to make up certain basic modules in the first two master's semesters.
Evidence of professional competencies must be submitted with the application
If you believe that you have acquired further professional competences for the intended study program in addition to your relevant previous studies, please upload official proof of this (e.g. another transcript) in good time together with the transcript of your previous studies. After submitting the online application, you may no longer exchange or add to uploaded documents.
As part of the second stage of the aptitude procedure, a selection interview will be invited. The date for the selection interview will be announced by the commission by e-mail at least one week in advance.
For detailed information on the eligibility procedure, please refer to the appendix of the subject examination and study regulations for the master's program in Politics & Technology.
Dates of the admission interviews for the Master's program
Selection interviews for the master's program are expected to take place in August and September 2023.
The application is made via the application portal of the Technical University of Munich.
The application period is 1 April 1 to 31 May. Outside of this period, the application portal for the master's program in Politics & Technology is not activated.
International applicants please check if you need pre-screening of your documents through uni-assist before applying.