Yannis Theocharis, Professor and Chair of Digital Governance at the Technical University of Munich (TUM), invites applications for a postdoctoral researcher to join his research team at
the TUM School of Social Sciences and Technology/Munich School of Politics and Public Policy in Munich, Germany, starting on April 1, 2024.
The successful candidate will join the project “ToxicAInment: Using AI to Increase Resilience against Toxicity in Online Entertainment”, funded by the Bavarian Institute of Digital Transformation. The successful candidate is expected to play a key role in coordinating the project, will have a strong research interest on social media and toxic speech, and a background in advanced quantitative methods with emphasis on experiments and causal inference. Analytical skills and the capacity for collaborative social scientific research will be key selection criteria.
The Chair of Digital Governance is a research and teaching unit within the Department of Governance and the Munich School of Politics and Public Policy focused on the effects of
technology on democracy. The Chair’s research agenda is interdisciplinary and has a particular interest in the application of advanced quantitative and computational methods to tackle a
broad range of questions at the intersection of digital media and politics.
- A PhD in political science or a related social science discipline or interdisciplinary field
- Strong skills in quantitative methods, ideally with a focus on experiments and knowledge of causal inference techniques
- Ability for excellent academic research evidenced through internationally visible publications, presentations at international conferences, third-party funding or related research activities
- Strong project coordination skills, ambition to pursue an active research agenda and eagerness to make both theoretically exciting and empirically important contributions
- Enthusiasm for working in a team as well as ability to work independently
- Strong ability to communicate in spoken and written English
- Coordination and planning of research activities within the project “ToxicAInment: Using AI to Increase Resilience against Toxicity in Online Entertainment”
- Cooperation with project partners in the context of the “ToxicAInment” project
- Assistance with empirical work, especially with the development, fielding, and analysis of survey experiments
- Actively participate in the intellectual life and research activities of the Chair of Digital
- Governance (e.g. attendance of weekly research colloquia)
- A 3-year postdoctoral research position within a newly funded project in a vibrant research team
- Remuneration will be in accordance with the German public service pay scale (collective agreement for state-level public servants, TV-L) at the E-13 level (100%)
- An exciting research environment with many international collaborations and ongoing cutting-edge research projects funded by the Max-Planck/Humboldt Foundation, the TUM Think Tank, Facebook, etc.
- Funding support for conferences and research activities
How to Apply
Please send the following materials electronically and as a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A motivation letter (up to 2 pages) which gives a sense of your scholarly and career interests, as well as the suitability of your background and especially methodological profile for this position
- A current CV, including list of publications
- Academic transcripts providing specific information about all of your university-level coursework and/or a list of courses that is informative about your substantive and methodological preparation, including the level at which each course was taken and the grade obtained
- if not readily apparent from the official transcripts, documentation of all degrees obtained; if you have not yet completed your doctoral degree, please indicate date of completion and award
- A research paper or other analytical writing sample published in English (for coauthored articles, please indicate your contribution)
- A list of three academic referees who can speak to your qualification for postdoctoral research
The application deadline is January 7, 2024. For questions, please contact Prof. Dr. Yannis Theocharis at email@example.com
The Chair of Digital Governance strongly supports the TUM's strategic goal of increasing the diversity of its staff. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, we particularly
encourage applications from women, people with disabilities, members of groups that are traditionally underrepresented in the academy, and others who would increase the diversity
of the university's research and teaching staff.
course of the application process pursuant to Art. 13 of the General Data Protection Regulation of the European Union (GDPR) at https://portal.mytum.de/kompass/datenschutz/Bewerbung/. By submitting your application, you confirm to have read and understood the data protection information provided by TUM.
Chair of Digital Governance
Munich School of Politics and Public Policy (Hochschule für Politik München)
Technical University of Munich