Proofreading Service for Peer-Reviewed Publications ("Lektoratsservice")
To boost the chances of TUM doctoral candidates to get their research accepted for publication in the leading international English-language peer-reviewed scientific journals, the TUM Graduate School, in cooperation with its Centre for Doctoral Studies, offers a professional proofreading service for advanced manuscript for journal articles.
The service is primarily geared toward doctoral researchers who are not native English speakers, but even those whose written English is very good should benefit. We recommend that you make use of this service after you have an advanced draft that is just about ready to be (re)submitted – and after you have carefully proofread it yourself. This allows the service's editors to help you polish the version you will actually submit and minimize the chances that reviewers will misunderstand your argument or empirics because of syntax, grammar, usage or typographical mistakes. The service is free for eligible TUM-GOV doctoral candidates.
What does the service consist of?
- Proofreading by a native English speaker with social science expertise
- Identification – and if possible correction – of syntax, grammar, spelling and terminology/usage errors
- Comments using "Track Changes" mode in Word
What are the eligibility requirements?
- You must be on the list of doctoral candidates of TUM School of Governance
- You need to be the first or main author
- The manuscript for a journal article will be submitted to an international peer-reviewed journal or conference
- The manuscript is in English
How does it work?
- Please fill in the request form.
- Send the request form and the article to Darja Bauer from the TUM-GOV Center for Doctoral and Postdoctoral Studies.
- We will check whether the eligibility requirements are met, and if so, will forward the article to the proofreading agency.
- Please be aware that they need 2-4 business days for an article of about 5000-6000 words, more if the article is longer. After getting back the corrections and the feedback sheet, you will need some time to review them and finalize changes to your text. It also might take us, at the Centre for Doctoral Studies, a few days to forward the article (holidays, sick days etc).
- Two weeks after using this service, you will receive an email with a link to an online form for feedback, which we kindly ask you to provide to help the TUM Graduate School to improve this service.